Proposal: Wallpaper extras submission/packaging procedure

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Oct 27 09:02:51 UTC 2008

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> I personally think we should hold a wallpaper contest photo artwork etc
> with a specific subject/theme in conduction with fedoramagazine each month
> or so then top 3 picture ( or top in each category ) would be picked
> added to the wiki and package.

My tendency is to decouple packaging and contests. Have the images in a
proper gallery and the users can use RSS feeds and see "best rated",
"most viewed", "last uploaded" images with no effort.
And they really need the packaging? They have the photos open in their
browser and Firefox has an "Set As Desktop Background" command (it
appears broken if Firefox/GNOME, but that is just a bug which needs a
patch).

And from this large pile of images, a packager may make a manual
selection with the "most usable" images (or more packagers can to their
own selections and packages).

As for Fedora Magazine, it can automatically pick "the most viewed
upload from the last week" or "the best rated upload from the last week"
based on RSS... and we definitely must include JonRob in this talk about
the magazine...

Jon, here is the thread, for reference:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-October/msg00299.html