Artwork Quality (was Re: Sound themes)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 13:43:31 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro) said:
>> They almost certainly are. The audience for Fedora Electronics Lab
>> wouldn't be the same audience as for Fedora Desktop, which isn't
>> (necessarily) the same audience as Fedora KDE, which isn't the
>> same audience as 'the Fedora spin'. I'm pretty sure the audience
>> for the latter has never been clearly defined.
>
> The thing is that we want to make easier for people to "get" Fedora,
> with a simplified download page and such, offering as default a single
> option and this option is the Desktop spin, effectively making it the
> main spin.

OK. But even in that case, I'm sure you could see how if the
artwork is designed for 'the main spin' for one set of users (such as
enthusiasts, whatever that means) and the code is designed for
a different set of users (such as general desktop users, whatever
that means) that there is inevitably going to be conflicts.

> We get from time to time requests for such customized artwork, he most
> recent which come to my mind is the Security spin. Sometime the requests
> are meet with resistance by people like me who does not understand the
> need of a Fedora spin with a different look and feel (or the purpose of
> still calling it Fedora)

... ? Part of the whole purpose is to have different spins for what
people want to do with Fedora software, whether it's the Games spin,
the Education spin, the XO/Sugar spin. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Bill