Re: Good news about Echo

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 11:01 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> No, there is no plan to do that, and it is not really possible either.
> Those strings are compiled into millions of binaries all over the
> world...

Not sure about that. As long as we keep the symlinks in icon themes, but
change the gtk #definitions, the old applications would still work and
the newly rebuilt ones would follow icon-naming-spec more closely -
which would eventually (after some years probably) practically remove
the need for those symlinks. But I am in no position to tell gtk devs
what they should do, so if you disagree, just ignore my comment, I was
merely interested to know if there are any such plans :)