R: Criteria for theme selection

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 03:44:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 13:20 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> María Leandro wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > 2008/9/10 Samuele Storari <sstorari at byte-code.com
> >     I think the vote will be totally open to the whole community.
>
> Well, I think with a little over a week to go on the final decision, we
> should maybe limit to art group members for this release, and plan a
> larger vote for F11. The reason I say this is because we don't really
> have time to plan for a Fedora-wide vote, and since there's not much
> time to wait on people to vote and to get the word out, we won't have a
> good representation of our base in the vote results.
>
> Does that seem fair?

It seems like the right thing, too. I don't think a general vote on the
default theme is a reasonable idea at all.

Taste is not something that can be decided with simple majority. Voting
for the default theme would pretty much devolve into 'which is the
coolest looking background when glancing at a bunch of screenshots',
which is not at all what a good default theme is about.

This forum is the place for qualified and interested people to work on
the art that makes up the default theme. It should also be the place
where the default theme gets put together.

If you want to gain more feedback on the drafts you work on, here is a
proposal: next time, package up the remaining candidates in the final
round (at that stage they should all be complete enough for that, I
guess), and ship them with the beta, maybe with some nice paragraph in
the beta release notes pointing at the available candidate themes.

Matthias