[Echo] New mail-* icons (total of eleven icons)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Sep 15 08:35:43 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:

> So before I reference the sources/PNGs, I'll tell some words about
> difficulties I had/have:
>
>         * the mail-reply-all icon sis pretty hard to do right in Echo
>         style. First that type of arrows that are used in gnome icons is
>         hard to do in Echo style, especially in small sizes and plain
>         arrows just don't work when they are side-to-side. So I tried
>         various colour combinations and arrow positions until I came up
>         with the current design [1]. I hope it's good enough...

You have two icons, one pointing left (reply) and another pointing right
(forward). Not sure the likeness to the forward operation is wise.
Here is how this icon looks in the default Thunderbird theme: the same
back arrow as for "reply" but *two* envelopes (you reply by using more
than one mail) - but this may not work at 16x16, here you do not display
the envelope.

Note: I think it is a mistake that the 16x16 icon has both of the arrows
pointing left (back), unlike the other sizes. The set should be
consistent internally.

>         * the mail-(not)junk proved pretty hard to create, especially in
>         the 256x256 size - drawing crumpled paper with inkscape isn't
>         easy, but somehow I managed to draw something that looks like it
>         (though it probably might look better) [2]. If anyone feels
>         (s)he could improve it, feel free to do so :)

How about using the trash can? To not confuse with "delete mail", maybe
envelope + trash can?

>         * I decided to put some text on the 256x256 mail-mark-read icon,
>         because the size big is enough for that, however as I didn't
>         know what to put there, I used lorem ipsum, today's date and
>         "address" Echo Icon Theme; Fedora Project... I used URW Chancery
>         L font (hope it's OK to use it) for that since I liked it there,
>         and in a size that's not readable (but looks IMHO good) :-D

That is a nice touch (the cursive writing and all) and the "lorem ipsum"
is the safest choice.
As the text is normally unreadable, you can use it as an "Easter egg",
putting in there anything you want: the description of Fedora mission,
your favorite cook book recipe, an essay about beer (ups! I forgot you
don't drink beer :D), some advanced physics, a love letter for someone
special, etc (tip: open Firefox and type "about:mozilla" in the location
bar).

I think I would be tempted to go with a funny "Easter egg" myself.