[Echo] New mail-* icons (total of eleven icons)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:54:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 14:35 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Screenshot attached.
>
> > the point is that you take the original mail and send it over to someone
> > else, i.e. forward it, you need not to add another explanatory mail to
> > that - thus the combination of forward arrow and one mail envelope.
>
> I have to disagree. "Reply all" will send the reply to all people listed
> in TO: or CC: (is kind of a primitive mailing list substitute), all the
> people receiving your reply already have the original email. You don't
> send the message to any new address (thus it does not involve anything
> like forward).
>
> These days, the most common usage for "reply all" is when a mailing list
> does not se the Reply-to header and when using a plain "reply" button
> your message is sent only to the original sender, not also to the list.
> So you have to use "Reply all" to send it both to the original sender
> and to the list.

Aah, I see your point now. Since you talked about forward, I
misunderstood what you were talking about (I thought you were arguing
about having two envelopes for the mail-forward not for mail-all). Sorry
about that. I'll try that version to see how it would look in echo style
- for the 16x16 it's IMHO ok to have the two arrows instead of two
envelopes due to size constraints, we're just duplicating the only
available object and in context of other 16x16 icons it's IMHO easily
recognisable enough.

> I think now is a bug (and also a bug in the gnome icon theme), so the
> arrows in all the variant of the icon should point the same directions.
> I leave up to decide if the direction is only left or both left and
> right based or may take above of "reply all" not being related to "forward".

I believe I get why they choose to do it that way - with envelope,
having two arrows pointing the same directions looks a bit odd, without
envelope having the arrows pointing in opposite directions looks odd. I
would not call it a bug, just a limitations of design.

> > I am personally against the trash can for junk mail metaphor (it's too
> > much easy to confuse with edit-delete, and in Evo these two icons are
> > next to each other so it would be really confusing, IMHO)... Even if it
> > were with envelope. Note that oxygen uses throwing envelope into trash
> > can for mail-junk and totally different metaphor for mail-notjunk which
> > is confusing. So I again reused the gnome metaphor. Maybe I could add an
> > envelope to the 256x256 so that I could make the crumpled paper smaller
> > (and looking subjectively more detailed)... What do you think?
>
> I think the 256x256 version of this particular icon will not be used in
> the foreseeable future so it is important how it look at the toolbar
> size (24x24/22x22).

Ah, totally forgot about that :-D. We can improve the 256x256 one when
we have more time... In toolbar size it looks IMHO good.

> > If I had good idea what to write there, I'd do it :-D
>
> That is I pointed to a few examples. The idea is that you put something
> funny in there and if/when we discover it later have a good laugh.

The difference between having topic to write about and actually write
about it is pretty big (especially if you'd like to make it an Easter
egg)... If you feel like you can think up something, feel free to update
the icon ;-)

Martin