[Ech0] Features for Fedora 10 Beta

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Fri Sep 19 09:07:39 UTC 2008

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> Would it be suitable to mention on the wiki under Benefits where it
>> says:
>> "A unique set of icon that combines elegance and usability."
>> That it will also mean a drawback in terms of integration on Fedora
>> for 3rd party developers such as Mozilla [1], Medsphere [2] and
>> VMWare [3]?
>
> * VMware is closed source software, outside of the Fedora mission, so
> it does not matter;
> * I doubt that Medsphere OpenVista should be a blocker, it does not
> like a software I would recommend to be run on Fedora;
> * by Mozilla I guess you mean Firefox, as Thunderbird and Seamonkey do
> not use the GNOME icon theme anyway. After covering the base icons, I
> think the most obvious goal for Echo is to cover the Firefox icons.
The reason for my concerns was because some kind of predictability in
the look of feel across distros was the reason Mozilla agreed to do
Linux visual integration in the first place (the alternative was keep on
using the WinXP style).
 http://www.beltzner.ca/mike/archives/2007/10/11/giving_the_penguin_a_makeover.html
and
http://steelgryphon.com/blog/?p=108
> I don't think integration with 3rd party applications should be a
> concern, otherwise we are going to a slippery slope and may get to
> think  about consistency with Windows icons (via Wine).
I don't think the slope is that slippery really, because Windows is a
completely different platform all together (don't use platform
technologies, follow the HIG or anything like that either).
If 3rd party developers trying to integrate with your platform isn't a
concern at all, I rest my case. Just thought it was worth mentioning as
all design decisions have pros and cons and that it would be unfortunate
not listing any possible cons.
- Andreas