Echo vs the destkop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 06:05:06 UTC 2008

> When we approved Echo as the default icon theme for F10, I was under the
> assumption that this was already more or less known as a feature to the
> Desktop group, and they were OK with the coverage provided and the
> experience given. Is that the case?

No, they weren't OK with the current coverage (at least Matthias Clasen)
and we are working hard to improve it.

> Looking at the desktop now (beta), I see:
>
> - at least three different icon perspectives in the stock menus
>   (echo, 'stock', bluecurve)
With Mist, there are still new gnome styled icons, old gnome styled
icons and bluecurve. In some places we reduced the old gnome and
bluecurve to minimum, in others not yet. Check the System ->
Administration menu as an example.

> - nearly all 'upstream' gnome apps using non-echo style icons
> - an immediate disconnect between the perspective of the stock
>   icons and the perspective of the main menu logo
>
> It also appears to me that the Echo icons scale to menu size I'm
> using (24) much worse than the prior icons.
>
> Are we planning to address these issues, either by increasing the
> Echo icon coverage, or changing various apps to point to system
> icons provided by Echo?

Yep. If you feel some particular icon is missing, it's need-to-have and
is not on our todo [1], feel free to ping us about it.

> Bill

Our general idea is that some time around the final freeze it will be
decided by art and desktop teams whether we are ready. If not, echo will
be pulled back and submitted again for F11. I'd be for voting, enabled
for art and desktop fas groups members regarding this issue.

Martin