Re: Echo vs the destkop

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 07:48 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > Quoting Máirín Duffy <mairin linuxgrrl com>:
> >

> >> Is it realistic to expect this to happen?
> >>
> > Anything that thought to be unrealistic can happen. =)
>
> Sure, but does upstream gnome have any plans to echo-ify their icons? I
> think I'm on gnome-art-list and I've seen nothing there indicating this.
>
> It's not just going to happen. And I'm not sure it's a great idea. Why
> would they do this?

Me too. I think it just don't make sense to make echo from gnome icons
or the other way round. They're two different icon themes and should
stay such - but compatible when it comes to metaphors.

Apart from that, while gnome icon theme strives to be default icon theme
gnome-wide, echo would like to be default fedora-wide (in the future).
It has the caveats that we need to maintain some amount of compatibility
with both gnome icon theme (gnome default) and oxygen icon theme (KDE4
default) to keep the "dissonances" low. Also it has the pros that we can
better focus on covering fedora/redhat specific apps, like
system-config-* that the other icon themes are overlooking/ignoring.