Echo vs the destkop

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Thu Sep 25 07:33:41 UTC 2008

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> William Jon McCann a écrit :
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When we approved Echo as the default icon theme for F10, I was under the
>>> assumption that this was already more or less known as a feature to the
>>> Desktop group, and they were OK with the coverage provided and the
>>> experience given. Is that the case?
>>>

>> No.
>>

>> I strongly disagree with the decision to use the Echo icon theme.  For
>> one, there is simply not enough time before Fedora 10 to fix the
>> problems that you point out.  There is also the fact that the quality
>> of the artwork is noticeably lower than the upstream GNOME and Tango
>> icon themes.
>>

> See the baseset[1]. Also there are issue on system->Administration
> that neither gnome nor
> tango addressed that were done on Echo theme.
If the system -> Administration looks out of place with the rest of the
system, does it help to introduce another icon style so the rest of the
system looks out of place instead?

A icon set is a mighty beast, bigger than it might appear at first. It
have taken about 3 years for the 6-7 core icon developers upstream (with
several others occasionally helping out) to where it is now. We're
welcoming all interested contributors to help out upstream with open
arms. I've had a very good experience with working together on with
Fedora developers in GNOME and would love for more collaboration to happen.
btw, big thanks to Mike Langlie, who did a great job on the icons for
Packagekit!

- Andreas