Re: Echo vs the destkop

Martin Sourada wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:28 +0200, Hylke Bons wrote:
I think what Andreas means is that when you install an application
that is not in the default Fedora install, it's going to look out of
place.
All the most popular OSS packages now use the same icon style
upstream, which is a major achievement, but instead Fedora chooses to
do it all over again.
I guess you are wrong here - you are talking only about GTK/Gnome
applications, but Fedora equally supports QT/KDE applications, that use
totally different style (oxygen). And because we want full desktop
integration for both QT and GTK applications we are left with no other
choice that create our own icons style that will not clash very much
with either of them. The perspective choices were done by Diana when she
started the icon set some years ago and we're probably not going to
rethink them.
This sounds interesting and reminds me of a similar project (http://tango.freedesktop.org), but for Fedora only. However, I have a hard time seeing where the Echo style are a in-between style between GNOME and KDE.

I don't think the differences between KDE style and GNOME style differs that much to begin really, if one compares the following screenshots:
http://jakilinux.org/reviews/kde-4-rev-823000/kde4_823000_dolphin_oxygen.jpg
http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.24/figures/rnusers.nautilus.tabs.png.en_GB

Same perspectives, similar outlines etc. Sightly different colors, KDE drops the outline at 48, GNOME at 128. The guidelines are not set it stone, and we're happy to change them where needed.
- Andreas