Echo vs the destkop

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Sat Sep 27 10:14:31 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:28 +0200, Hylke Bons wrote:
>
>> I think what Andreas means is that when you install an application
>> that is not in the default Fedora install, it's going to look out of
>> place.
>> All the most popular OSS packages now use the same icon style
>> upstream, which is a major achievement, but instead Fedora chooses to
>> do it all over again.
>>
> I guess you are wrong here - you are talking only about GTK/Gnome
> applications, but Fedora equally supports QT/KDE applications, that use
> totally different style (oxygen). And because we want full desktop
> integration for both QT and GTK applications we are left with no other
> choice that create our own icons style that will not clash very much
> with either of them. The perspective choices were done by Diana when she
> started the icon set some years ago and we're probably not going to
> rethink them.

This sounds interesting and reminds me of a similar project
(http://tango.freedesktop.org), but for Fedora only.
However, I have a hard time seeing where the Echo style are a in-between
style between GNOME and KDE.

I don't think the differences between KDE style and GNOME style differs
that much to begin really, if one compares the following screenshots:
http://jakilinux.org/reviews/kde-4-rev-823000/kde4_823000_dolphin_oxygen.jpg
http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.24/figures/rnusers.nautilus.tabs.png.en_GB

Same perspectives, similar outlines etc. Sightly different colors, KDE
drops the outline at 48, GNOME at 128.
The guidelines are not set it stone, and we're happy to change them
where needed.
- Andreas