idea for Fedora boot screen

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Apr 10 06:46:48 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009 09:09 PM, William Jon McCann wrote:
>   My view is that the current trend of highly decorative and themed
> boot splashes is an artifact of our failure to improve boot times.  We
> should be designing for the case where boot is fairly quick and the
> boot screens are merely a brief transition to GDM (only necessary
> since it will be longer than 2 seconds even in the best case).  Having
> it be a distinct and highly decorative stage in the boot process
> detracts from the overall experience from power-on to desktop.

I disagree and the reason is also the transition to GMD. To have it
smooth I believe it make a lot of sense to have a similar level of
decoration in Plymouth and GDM, have the transition from one to another
be just a matter of fade out/fade in for some elements (progress
bar/login window).

> Also, moving away from a traditional progress bar is a good thing, in
> my opinion.  For what its worth, Windows 7 seems to be headed in this
> direction as well:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/02/18/engineering-the-windows-7-boot-animation.aspx

Does Windows 7 change the screen mode from the boot progress to the
login screen to the desktop?