Wallpaper for Beta?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:40:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:05:48PM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> The hard reality is an wallpaper like this will be inevitably compared
> with the default Windows XP wallpaper, which had set a standard in
> people's minds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Windows_XP_SP3.png

Interesting that you mention this, because looking at a couple of the
beta releases for Windows 7, I notice they've gone for a wallpaper
that looks *really* close to the Fedora 9 default wallpaper:

http://www.askvg.com/download-windows-7-official-wallpaper-shown-at-pdc-2008/
http://www.askvg.com/download-windows-7-beta-build-6936-default-desktop-wallpaper/

I suppose one could take the position that if Microsoft does it, it's
bad, but we should recognize they have a lot of money to spend on
design, and they've come up with something very close to what you, the
Fedora Artwork team, did in the past year with free tools and open
processes.  That speaks volumes for this team in my opinion.