FYI: Personalization in Windows 7

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed May 13 22:17:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 22:03 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Like the gallery Idea but why go through all the trouble of package
> the backgrounds and ship a large set of images ( Mb )
>
> Why not file an RFE against the application in the *DE that handle
> background settings that will be able to browse and preview those
> images
> from the online gallery which the end user can then select and set as
> his default background?
>
> This would save bandwith and the needed packaging hazzle..
>
> The end user would also be able to preview the backgrounds online in
> his browser and right click the image and select to set as his default
> background...
It would create a mess in the system. Installing the wallpaper for all
users requires su authorisation, enabling it as default means that it
needs to be copied to some directory that is readable by all users and
we don't like to mess up with the dirs that are usually handled by
rpm,... Think also about removing. But yeah, I have the concern about
bandwidth as well and I am really not sure what is the best approach to
this... Some nice app that would let you select the wallpapers you'd
like to install (after seeing their thumbnailed preview) would be nice
to have, but I'd prefer it to integrate with our rpm (or even better
packagekit) infrastructure.

Martin