[fedora-astronomy] Fedora SIG Astronomy Meeting

Hi,

I trolled on at the last IRC meeting for Fedora SIG Astronomy. I should make a better introduction. My name is Chris Hunter, I am with IT support for astronomy & astrophysics at yale university, in connecticut usa. Our department has ~100 linux machines; 70 which are desktop workstations for faculty, students & research staff. We also support workstations at astronomical observatories in the usa and south america.

We use linux because most research software has a history of starting in a UNIX environment. Our current platform of choice is scientific linux (www.scientificlinux.org); close second is OS X. We additionally use ESO "scisoft" research software packages (www.eso.org/scisoft).

We are evaluating alternate platforms that will provide support for new projects such as "Virtual Observatory" tools (typically java based or SOA). A key decision factor will be how easily we can incorporate "non-free", or academic licenced software into local installations.

I'm interested in fedora-astronomy, since fedora will give us bleeding edge hardware support and looks provide packaging of popular astronomical research software.

Regards,

--
Chris Hunter
Systems Programmer, Astronomy Yale University