Re: [fedora-astronomy] new to the list

Maccy wrote:
Hi all,

Hello Maccy,

I have been following this project with interest for a short time. I am Systems Manager for the X-Ray and Observational Astronomy Group at the University of Leicester. We run Scientific Linux 4.6 on our desktop systems, mainly because I have 55+ systems to look after and I don't want to be upgrading them any more than every 12-18 months. Scientific Linux has proven to be very stable and trustworthy - it is of course a rebuild of the RHEL source.

This is great! Welcome to the list. I understand that the release cycle is more focused on rapid development, see my notes about EPEL below.

A Fedora Astronomy distro 'proper' would be great, in addition to the Live
CD. Are there any plans for this? I would have to give it serious
consideration if a large number of packages that we use here are included,
such as the HEASOFT stuff, PyRAF/IRAF, and the Starlink Software
Collection. The ESO Scisoft collection would be a brilliant inclusion.
We have users with Mac and Windows laptops who I am sure would welcome the
Live CD.

All packages on the Live CD will be also available as 'proper' package. I think you could be interested in EPEL [1], I've packaged some software as gnuradio for EPEL or I have plans to increase the number of packages from Astronomy project there -- in this way you could install these package even on SL.

I know that a few of our UK counterparts are wholly using Fedora so I will
bring the project to their attention in case they have not discovered it
already.

Cool! More people would be certainly a good point.

Unfortunately I cannot make any meetings on Saturday due to sports
commitments but I will of course keep an eye on the mailing list.

:) You're right, sports are healthier that computers.

Best regards,

Have a nice day!

Mark

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL