[fedora-astronomy] new to the list

Marek Mahut mmahut at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 25 20:10:14 UTC 2008

Wrolf wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 08:57 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> EPEL is meant to
>> provide rebuilds of Fedora packages as addons to RHEL and its cousins,
>> using the existing Fedora infrastructure.  EPEL is meant to be far
>> less aggressive in terms of updates, since its targeting the
>> enterprise and its derivatives including the RHEL support timescale of
>> 7 years.  For Astronomy for EPEL ...
>
> Not quite as new to the list, but lurking up till now.
>
> I do not understand why anyone from the Astronomy SIG would be
> rebuilding Fedora packages for RHEL.
>
> As I understand the model from the Astronomy SIG, it is to write SPECs
> and RPMs for Fedora, either of existing packages, or of new work; and
> also provide an Astronomy spin of Fedora - kickstart file(s) and .iso
> builds of a subset of Fedora, with all the packages that an astronomer
> would need. And ideally these spins could be put on a live CD with
> persistence. Oriented at rank amateurs (I just like to print out star
> charts for when I go camping with the boys), to professional
> astronomers.

This is wrong. I do consider this SIG a group of people trying to
promote open-source in the world of astronomy (both professional and
amateur) and thinks that Fedora is a good way to start. I would be more
that happy that someone uses our good work on Centos, RHEL, Ubuntu or
any other open-source project. Fedora is a open project.

> As I understand it, this is exactly the model for special interest
> groups in Fedora - get your software packaged and suitable for the repo,
> and/or create .ks and/or .iso file that include some subset of Fedora
> packages, including those specific to your SIG.
>
> I do not see where EPEL comes in.

It's a sub-project of Fedora project that helps people to get the
open-source software for their open-source enterprise solutions.

--
Marek Mahut               https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Astronomy/
Fedora Project                                   http://www.jamendo.com/