Stuff to look for in plague 0.4

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Aug 23 05:18:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 12:17 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 19.08.2005, 21:40 -0400 schrieb Dan Williams:
> > Quite a few things will change for plague 0.4:
> > [...]
> > If anyone has more thoughts, file some RFEs in bugzilla for Fedora Extras
> > Infrastructure.
>
> What is the current status of passing special options to the actual
> rpmbuild call? We should have those for building kernel-modules because
> building kernel-modules for a lot of different kernels would be much
> easier if no changes to the actual kernel-module-specfile are needed. In
> the current KernelModuleProposal-Example2 (*1) this is realized by:
>
> %{!?kver:  %define  kver            %(uname -r)}
> [...]
> make KVERS=%{kver} KSRC="%{_usrsrc}/kernels/%{kver}-%{_target_cpu}" -C driver
>
> So if someone builds the src.rpm at home it is rebuild for the current
> kernel. When build with mock the buildsystem should defined kver.
> Something like:
>
> for kernel in <list of target kernels [example: current-kernel.i586 current-kernel.i686 current-kernel-smp.i586]>
> do
> 	mock build /path/to/srpm --define "kver $kernel"
> done
>
> AFACS we need support for this in both mock and plague (or is something
> like that already possible? mach can pass options to rpmbuild, mock
> can't iirc)

I do not think that adding this into mock or rpmbuild is a good idea,
honestly. If the package won't built w/o arbitrary defines then we'll
have a devil of a time figuring out how to REBUILD it later. We need
builds to be replayable and if we have to count on what someone inputted
into the cli then we can't replay them.

-sv