mock and fc5/fe5 and comps pain

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 15:41:36 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
> Hi,
>  As some of you are aware the comps changes that anaconda wanted changed
> how comps works in yum which nicely BROKE Fedora Extras rawhide builds
> once the comps.xml changes landed in rawhide. So what do we do to fix
> it?
>
>  Jeremy and I tossed around a couple of ideas - none of them terribly
> attractive but we settled on this, I'd like to hear some input:
>
>   - make three packages and put them in the buildgroups repo:
>     http://fedoraproject.org/buildgroups/
>     The packages would have no real payload but would have only
>     a requires list that matches the 3 groups listed in:
>     http://fedoraproject.org/buildgroups/4/i386/buildroots.xml
>
>   - modify mock to act on those packages instead of on group names.
> Possibly
>     making that act be something you configure so we don't break
> everyone with
>     the mock update.
>
>   - no longer have to worry about groups-file-format-changes screwing up
> mock and
>     extras builds
>
> So what do y'all think? That sound like a plan?
> Would someone like to make the packages for us while I go futz with
> mock?

Old fedora.us and our current Extras packaging guidelines tell folks to
test their builds against the minimum build environment pulled in by the
artifical deps of the fedora-rpmdevtools package.  You could just use
fedora-rpmdevtools as the base package instead of creating yet another
package to pull in minimum buildroot deps.

Note that we made an explicit decision NOT to include auto* as base deps
in fedora-rpmdevtools.  This is because different packages may require
specific versions of autoconf or automake.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com