mock and fc5/fe5 and comps pain

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Dec 15 21:02:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:50 -0500, Mike McLean wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> >>You still have yum parsing the comps, but it only parses one (and that
> >>one is easier to control). Since the groups repo is so directly tied to
> >>mock, it seems reasonable to expect that buildgroups.xml should match
> >>your mock/yum setup.
> >
> > yes - but now you have to maintain 2 of these files.
>
> not if new yum could handle old comps.

I do not think we'll be putting the old comps support into yum 2.5.X or
later.

That'd be like adding 1.x headers support into yum 2.1 and higher.

in short, it'd be silly.

The whole point of changing the api is to be able to CHANGE it.

> The rebuilding isn't that big a deal, more of an annoyance. My main
> worry is the fake packages sitting in the repos. Using fake packages
> like this has always seemed like a hack to me. Sometimes it is
> necessary, but I hate to see it used as a central mechanism in the build
> system.

Sure - it is a hack. All of building inside a chroot is a hack, too.

What's your point?

> In my case the fake packages introduce a problem in bookkeeping. I can
> work around it, of course, but I'd rather avoid the mess.

what bookkeeping problem do they introduce?

> Anyway, how about a compromise? See attached patch.

How is this a compromise?

-sv