Build system ideas/requirements

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 2 23:08:52 UTC 2005

>Yes and no : Since we're probably going to want to support different archs
>coming from different build machines some day, the build spawning should be
>per build host, whereas the dealing with the results will be partly per
>build host (the part that you consider fairly related) but also partly in a
>central location which will gather everything, right?

well from a queuing standpoint - submitting build reqs to a central
system should be able to deal with the 'for which archs' and 'where do
you go for those archs' questions.

>Other than that, I agree with Jeremy regarding the fact the builds should
>be explicitly requested and not automatic for every CVS commit, or even
>every commit matching certain criterias (i.e. a change in version and/or
>release).

sure - I guess I was thinking of what gafton had mentioned before. Some
way for someone to tag a release as 'buildmeplease' in cvs and have it
just do it.

-sv