Build system ideas/requirements

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Mar 4 14:17:30 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 23:37 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > Not sure what this would achieve ? In mach, these three "target" names
> > mean the following:
> > - minimal: a minimal set of packages that allows you to chroot into it
> > and run bash
> > - base: the same set of packages, but with all packages needed to make
> > the rpm db consistent added
> > - build: a bunch of additional packages that rpmbuild likes to have
> > (patch, gcc, ...)
> >
> > Not sure what (some magic link to comps.xml) would bring more.
>
> but instead of having to discern the list w/no relationship information
> from this:

well, this passes by the fact that
a) comps.xml doesn't have this concept of minimal
b) comps.xml IIRC has a completely different understanding of "base"
than what I just said (the minimum self-consistent set of packages that
give you bash)
c) there are distros mach is used for that do not have comps.xml files.

So, sure, I can use comps.xml.  It's just that it doesn't give me
exactly what I need in these cases.

Thomas

Come on baby take a walk with me honey
Tell me who do you love