Running rpmlint within mock

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Jul 14 23:04:02 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 18:48, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> The whole point is that mock already has everything necessary and
> pregenerated.  It has the chroot just sitting there.  It has the
> security infrastructure and the procedures for doing things within the
> chroot already done.  It seems to me to be terribly foolish to
> duplicate that.
>
> How about this: does mock provide (or could it provide) a way for me
> to install a couple of packages and run a command within the chroot?
> Or is this relatively simple to do safely without using mock?  Forget
> about rpmlint; maybe I need this for debugging or to figure out why
> something isn't building.

The same software could be used.  Mock can do it, it just isn't designed with
this task in mind.

More to the point, there are two distinct tasks here, one is building the
package, the other is testing.  They have some pretty different needs, and
trying to do both of them in the same harness isn't the best of ideas.
rpmlint is just a test, it leads to more tests, like I described.  What about
doing functional tests on things like php packages, where we want to spin up
a local apache, browse to some pages, and make sure the content looks right.
These are the types of things that can be done with dogtail in a real test
environment that really really really shouldn't be done at build time.