proposed mock changes (diff)

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 17 22:22:35 UTC 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Clark Williams wrote:

>> MEB> Can rpmlint just be done outside of mock (using mock chroot, for
>> MEB> example)?
>>
>> Yes, as long as mock continues to give me a way to run a command in
>> the chroot and some equivalent of "mock-helper yum".  I was just
>> asking for a way to do it, not that it actually be added as base
>> functionality.
>
> Well, there I was about to tell you to do this:
>
> $ mock --no-clean chroot yum install foo
> $ mock --no-clean chroot rpmlint -vi foo
>
> Then I thought, hey, I should try that first (what a concept, eh?). I
> did and about that time I realized that we don't install yum into the
> chroot (chroot manipulations occur outside the chroot).  So what I did
> above won't work.
>
> Now, I really don't like the idea of adding *anything* to the default
> build chroot (other than what's required to build a package). It's
> slow enough as it is and for the most common usage (plague/mock
> builds) we don't want anything except what's absolutely needed. So,
> how would we go about managing a chroot for tasks like testing? Do we
> add an 'install' command to install stuff from the configured
> repositories into the chroot, like this:
>
> $ mock install rpmlint
>
> Or do we do something else? Do we make tester's put together their own
> cfg with a modified buildsys-build rpm that includes the packages they
> need? Is there a simpler mechanism for someone that wants a chroot for
> testing?
>
> Clark

I've always just used yum from the host system with the --installroot
flag.  You don't want to rely upon the RPM tools inside of the chroot
because those won't always work - remember, we are doing all the
package installs with the host system's yum in the first place.  My
vote would be to keep mock as simple/minimal as possible.

-Jeff