having a weird issue building emacs w/ plague

So we've got a plague+mock setup for Legacy, and I"m trying to build a
new FC1 emacs.  Here is the fun thing, when using plague-client and
passing it a srpm to build, I get this error:

creating src/Makefile
+ setarch i386 make
i386: Success

RPM build errors:

Not very helpful.  So I go to hand build it w/ mock so that I can see
where it is actually failing and fix it, but mock itself builds just
fine.   mock -r fedora-1-i386-core emacs.src.rpm completes w/out
blinking.  We've been able to reproduce it many times on our build
system, and even other plague+mock setups.  I'm really at a loss as to
how plague can get it wrong w/ mock gets it right.  Help?

When it finishes uploading, you can find the package in question at

Note, all Legacy did beyond the stock FC package was add patch16, add
autoconf213 as a BuildReq, and added the changelog.