having a weird issue building emacs w/ plague

So we've got a plague+mock setup for Legacy, and I"m trying to build a
new FC1 emacs.  Here is the fun thing, when using plague-client and
passing it a srpm to build, I get this error:

creating src/Makefile
+ setarch i386 make
i386: Success

RPM build errors:

Not very helpful.  So I go to hand build it w/ mock so that I can see
where it is actually failing and fix it, but mock itself builds just
fine.   mock -r fedora-1-i386-core emacs.src.rpm completes w/out
blinking.  We've been able to reproduce it many times on our build
system, and even other plague+mock setups.  I'm really at a loss as to
how plague can get it wrong w/ mock gets it right.  Help?

When it finishes uploading, you can find the package in question at
http://geek.j2solutions.net/emacs-21.3-9.legacy.src.rpm

Note, all Legacy did beyond the stock FC package was add patch16, add
autoconf213 as a BuildReq, and added the changelog.