having a weird issue building emacs w/ plague

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Mar 13 00:24:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 19:01 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> creating src/Makefile
> + setarch i386 make
> i386: Success
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.65918 (%build)
>

> RPM build errors:
>     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.65918 (%build)
>

> Not very helpful.  So I go to hand build it w/ mock so that I can see
> where it is actually failing and fix it, but mock itself builds just
> fine.   mock -r fedora-1-i386-core emacs.src.rpm completes w/out
> blinking.  We've been able to reproduce it many times on our build
> system, and even other plague+mock setups.  I'm really at a loss as to
> how plague can get it wrong w/ mock gets it right.  Help?
>
> When it finishes uploading, you can find the package in question at
> http://geek.j2solutions.net/emacs-21.3-9.legacy.src.rpm

Ok, so we did more digging, and we find that plague calls setarch before
the mock call.  So when I duplicate this style of call:

/usr/bin/setarch i686 /usr/bin/mock -r fedora-1-i386-core --arch
i386 /home/jkeating/rpmbuild/SRPMS/emacs-21.3-9.legacy.src.rpm

I do indeed get the vague failure.

Upon running the rpm script inside the setarch chrooted buildroot, it
does indeed error out trying to remove some files that it can't find.  I
have no idea why it can't find these, I'm trying to figure it out.