pungi + existing rpm base

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 14 22:07:22 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 16:00, Earl wrote:
> Any ideas on how to utilize pungi with an exisintg rpm base?  i.e.
> I already have a hacked up remastering process and an existing dir
> full of  standard Fedora CORE plus some custom RPMs and I would
> like to try pungi out on it?
>
> Maybe create a comps.xml based on the dir full of RPMs then create
> a local yum repo with all of the RPMs?  If thats it, how do you
> create comps.xml from a dir full of RPMs?
>
> Other suggestions?

The first step is indeed creating a repo out of it.

After that, yeah, welcome to the hell that is comps :/  I really don't want
comps to be the interface that users are exposed to in the future, but for
now it is.  Luckily since pungi does dep resolution, you don't need to list
every single package.  Instead what you need to list is the high level
packages you care about (plus kernel) and allow dep resolution to figure out
exactly what you need.  I'd take the comps.xml pungi ships with and just
replace the package names with which packages you want.  Experiment with the
high level packages and see what pungi pulls in for deps until you get the
set that has the functionality you want.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora