mock builds failing under CentOS 4.4 host

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 8 21:29:53 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if it was the move to CentOS 4.4 or what, but now my
mock builds are failing on CentOS 4.4 hosts where they were working
fine a couple weeks ago...

Digging through root.log shows this message buried in the middle of
all the 'yum install' output:
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/mock/fedora-4-i386-
core/root/var/lock/rpm/transaction

So far, I've had similar results building for FC3/FC4/EL4, so I'm
guessing its a host machine issue rather than a chroot issue.  Has
anyone else come across this already?  I am using an older version of
mock - 0.4-2 on one machine, and 0.4-5 on another; has something
changed since then to fix this issue?  I guess I need to upgrade
eventually to get the newer mock config setup, etc. but I've been
putting that off...

Thanks,
Jeff