mock rfe - buildgroup

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 6 22:53:23 UTC 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 05:32:49PM -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>>
>> I don't like that this will break configs for my mock setup.
>>
>> For example, I have not changed defaults.cfg at all, but all of the
>> fedora-*, redhat-*, epel* configs do have local modifications.  Now,
>> if you push a defaults.cfg file which is blank, that will cause my
>> unedited defaults.cfg to be overwritten.  Once that happens, all of
>> the other mock configs will be trying to do 'groupinstall buildsys-
>> build' which is a non-existent group (except apparently in rawhide).
>
> Actually, I am pretty sure that it saves all the new files as
> ".rpmnew"
> files. All the config files are %config(noreplace) in the spec file.
Unfortunately rpm has a different idea of what "noreplace" means than
what  most people would think.  :) Even with %config(noreplace) it
will replace non-modified files.  I just verified this on FC6.  In
most cases this wouldn't be a big deal, but when you combine this
with the change to mock.py modifying the default behavior, this
leaves people (or at least me) in a bad situation.

>> I would much prefer if the default install command remained the same
>> for the time being and the change would only be made in the
>> development config.
>
> I would probably push this to -devel at first and wait a little while
> before pushing to FC6/7, but at this point in time, I dont have any
> intention of branching for something this trivial.
I understand that you don't want to maintain multiple branches - no
argument here!

> Jesse, Clark,
>     How about I just change the -devel .cfg files to use the
> groupinstall commands and back out the mock.py default change? This
> would leave all of the config files with the exact install command
> they
> need. Leave this for one release, and then add the mock.py default
> change in the next release. This would give everybody time enough
> to get
> their configs updated so they dont break.
If you're convinced that the default mock behavior needs to change,
then I would much prefer this -- wait a release (or two) before
making the change.  It may also be helpful to people if you do add
something like the following in defaults.cfg:
config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] = 'install buildsys-build'
# The following is used in F8 (devel) and will soon become the default
#config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] = 'groupinstall build'