pungi used to create CD that includes a kickstart file

Steve Magoun steve at pepper.com
Thu Jun 21 13:52:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

Given the discussion about adding kickstart files to a DVD, I thought
I'd add my experience with Fedora 7.

We're using pungi 0.3.5 to create a custom F7 install DVD that
includes multiple kickstarts on the DVD. I've hacked pungi to add our
kickstart files to the installer's boot menu. This way non-technical
users can select a kickstart at install time by choosing a menu item
rather than typing. We've found it quite useful, perhaps others will
too.

Here's what we do:

1) Package all kickstart files in a kickstart-config RPM and deploy
the RPM to our repository. The RPM is setup so that kickstart files
go into /kickstart:

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
install -d -m 0755 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/kickstart
for file in kickstart/* ; do
     install -p -m 0644 $file $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/kickstart
done
[...]
%files
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%dir /kickstart
/kickstart/*

2) Add the kickstart-config RPM to the pungi manifest

3) Add our kickstart RPM + files to the relnote entries of pungi's
config file:

relnotepkgs = fedora-release fedora-release-notes kickstart-config
relnotedirre = images stylesheet-images kickstart

4) Hack pungi to add our kickstart files to isolinux.cfg. Not pretty,
but it gets the job done for us: