Plague dependency question

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 10:49:24 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 04:50:40 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> "Automatic rebuilds" in my opinion implies that there is a way to check
> automatically whether a rebuild is necessary. For instance, if a soname
> has changed and breaks the ABI. But the build system cannot know whether
> this is expected. 3rd party repositories which depend on our packages
> won't like such breakage and our attempts to work around it with
> automatic mass-rebuilds.

While I'm not in favor of fully automatic rebuilds, I am in favor of being
able to do a repoclosure with your freshly built package against the repo
that was used to BUILD said package and send alerts out to the person who
built it and the person(s) who's packages might now have broken deps because
of the build, as well as logging it to a webpage for a quick "hitlist" to
keep track of.  It would then be up to the maintainer(s) to either initiate
rebuilds of the broken packages, or untag the new build as it would break too
much.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora