OpenSuSE Buildsystem

Number Cruncher number.cruncher at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 17 14:50:30 UTC 2008

Andreas Thienemann wrote:
>> software into RPMs for clean installation anywhere from e.g. RHL7.3,
>> SUSE 9, to RHEL5, Fedora 10, and SLES10.
>
> RHL7.3? Congratulations, I managed to move _all_ my customers away from
> that. Even though it was _the_ rock stable enterprise operating system.
> 5 years uptime and counting on some of these boxes. :)
I know. The problem is that the bigger they are, the slower they move...

> I fear however, that buildsystem synchronisation is not really going to
> help you very much. What you're looking for is more something like United
> Linux and we all know how that fared.

Okay, I can just about live with the messy spec files. I can't expect to
retrospectively patch rpmbuild back to RHL7.3... But from .src.rpm
onwards, a unified build approach would be so much simpler.

> Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Many companies are running their in house
> builders on mock.
>

> Personally, I find these %if %endif-ed specs for a bunch of distros
> horrible to read.
> including Buildreqs etc. from other files might make that easier to read,
> but it's a hackish solution nevertheless.

I think the mock buildsys-build approach could be extended and
simplified to help here. At the moment it provides the bare minimum RPMs
  needed by *every* build and saves cluttering every spec file with
BuildRequires: bash coreutils, etc., etc..

If OS vendors agreed a common RPM capability naming system along LSB
lines, then provided buildsys-build-capability packages for all of their
OS, an ISV could then just require that virtual capability and let the
builder deduce the BuildRequires.

E.g.
buildsys-build-x11-development.noarch.rpm, Provides: x11-development,
Requires:  libXrender-devel, libXrandr-devel.. (RHEL5 .noarch.rpm version)

Requires: XFree86-devel (Fedora Core 2 .noarch.rpm version)

Requires: xorg-x11-devel (OpenSUSE 10.1 version)

My .src.rpm:
BuildRequires x11-development