Koji "hidden" packages proposal

Mike Bonnet mikeb at redhat.com
Sat Mar 15 23:13:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 19:17 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> > On Friday 14 March 2008, Mike Bonnet wrote:
> >  > I've written up a brief proposal about how "hidden" packages may be
> >  > supported in Koji.  The objective of this is to enable building EPEL
> >  > packages in Koji.  I wrote this up fairly quickly, and I'm sure I
> >  > haven't thought through all the issues, but I wanted to get the ball
> >  > rolling.  Let me know if you have any questions/comments/ideas/issues
> >  > relating to this proposal.
> >  >
> >  > http://people.redhat.com/mikeb/koji/koji-hidden-packages-proposal.html
> >  >
> >  > Thanks,
> >  > Mike
> >  the tree will have to be nothing like /mnt/koji/packages
> >
> >  instead it will have to be like
> >  http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/  so that you can use
> >  rsync  and repo mirroring tools to sync the content and keep trees in sync.
> >  ill leave it up to Seth to explain more but hit micro repository option he is
> >  working on would allow us to pull the existing repodata intothe new repodata.
> >
> >  We really only need to have a command that can suck the repodata into the
> >  database.  so we know about the packages.
> >

> Another big issue will be that EL is split in so many 'interesting'
> ways. You need to be able to either have the build system know of
> every seperate channels from RHN for each variation EL-3,4,5 or have
> RHN somehow give a conglomerate channel to you of all the packages in
> one big bucket. The code from DAG's mrepo sort of does this but would
> need some work on getting it to play nicely

We're not going to be pulling packages straight from RHN, we'll be
manually importing the packages.  The proposal allows for multiple
alternate directory trees, so it will be possible to have a tree to
which we import the RHEL-4 binaries, a tree for RHEL-5 binaries, etc.
When a new RHEL update is released, it'll be up to an admin to download
the new packages and import them into the proper tree.