Which RPM does mergerepo prefer?

Mike Bonnet mikeb at redhat.com
Thu May 28 14:25:27 UTC 2009

Jitesh Shah wrote:
> Hi,
> I have attached an external repo to a build tag (Just trying out some
> hand-built RPMs). Now, if an RPM is present *both* in the build tag as
> well as the external repo, which one does mergerepos pick?

It picks the rpm in the build tag (the local rpm).

> Is the decision based on version comparison (the greater version wins),
> or does the one in the build tag always get preference over the external
> repo (irrespective of the version)?

The one in the build tag always wins.  This is consistent with normal
Koji tag inheritance, which is a depth-first, first-match-wins search.
Koji never compares NVRs.

> If it is the latter, how do I tell mergerepos to prefer external repo
> over the build tag? (or atleast use version comparisons rather than
> preferring build tag)

If you want to use the version from the external repo, untag any builds
of that package from the local tag and let the external repo version be
picked up as the first match.