replacing XMMS

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 18:17:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:11, Link Dupont wrote:

> My friend does this too. He uses quark for that. I realize that quark is very
> non-new-user-friendly, but it fits that use case.

Right.  It's an important use case, and Rhythmbox just doesn't work for
it at all right now.  I talked with Seth the other day about how to fix
it, and we've tossed around some ideas on rhythmbox-devel in the past,
but it needs more thought.

> What about beep-media-player? I've taken a good long gander at it, and
> it does improve on some things that xmms has.

I do think that if Rhythmbox didn't improve at all from where it is now,
it would make sense to at least dump xmms and move to beep, if only
because it's one less thing that uses GTK+ 1.2.