replacing XMMS

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Wed Apr 21 19:30:35 UTC 2004

Colin Walters wrote:
> So our situation with music players is a little bad.  Right now in the
> menu we have "Music Player" and "Audio Player".  The first is Rhythmbox,
> the second is XMMS.  A user new to Fedora is going to be baffled by this
> - it's like having two clocks.
>
> Ideally we would only have one music player.  I'm hoping to get
> Rhythmbox in good enough shape for FC3 that it can replace XMMS for most
> use cases.
>
> What I'm curious of is comments by people who still use XMMS, and why.
> What are the most important things to you that need to be fixed in
> Rhythmbox?

   It takes up way too much space.  I tend to use xmms and noatun as
they  are usable while shaded.  That way I can have it always on top,
and on every desktop without getting in the way.  Rythmbox is not only
completely useless shaded, but larger.  Also I don't see an easy way to
increase buffering to prevent skips.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.