Desktop issues discussion proposal

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Apr 22 13:43:17 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 15:57, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> This are related. The answer is generally to just move stuff out of
> Core, and into Extras. Eventually, if the user explicitly decides
> to install 20 mail clients, that's their own problem, but the default
> OS install shouldn't do this to them, yes.

How are packages which are gnome oriented versus kde oriented going to be
handled?

I think it makes a lot of sense to have a single "main" package for a function
with others available in Fedora Extras.  This keeps it simple for a user who
just want a basic, working system while still providing options for those who
want them.

However, that still leaves packages which are closely tied to gnome and kde.
For example, the mail client of choice is evolution (at least that is the
message I am getting).  But kde has kmail (my personal choice) which is also
packaged as part of kdenetwork.  Then there is sylpheed which I believe
should be moved to extras.

Should kdenetwork be split so kmail is not included but instead moved to
Extras?  This has to be a management nightmare.

Of course, all of kde could be moved to Extras (or all of gnome), but I do not
see that happening.

I believe that there will remain some functions which will have multiple
packages available as part of Fedora Core.  The problem is to keep those to a
small enough set so we can keep our sanity.
--
Gene