Desktop issues discussion proposal

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Apr 22 17:08:08 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 12:50, seth vidal wrote:
> > The network stuff would be nice but it is the individual package
> > installation/removal that is needed (at least by me).
> >
> > There was a point (in the FC1 development cycle IIRC) where
> > x-config-packages could install (and remove?) individual package but this
> > got dropped because of some problems.  At the time there was come
> > comments to the effect of "we really need to do this right and redesign
> > the whole thing with
> > system-config-packages and up2date merging" (IIRC).
>
> I think a lot of system-config-packages is going to be the subject of a
> discussion sometime soon b/t me and katz and others. Specifically,
> figuring out if we can make s-c-p frontend for yum in an intelligent
> way.

Yes!  This is the obvious (to me) solution for accessing packages via the
network is yum ... why reinvent things when you have a good capability.

Now, the rest of the story ... handing installation of individual new packages
as well as removal of individual installed packages (including removing
selected installed kernels).

While the current package groupings can work for many, they do not work for
everyone.  The manual effort of removing packages from an everything install
or installing additional packages from a selected install if very time
consuming.  The package management tool (at least as described in
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/specs/redhat-config-packages )
looks like it would be very close to addressing my needs.
--
Gene