Desktop issues discussion proposal

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Thu Apr 22 17:50:13 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> [ ... snip ... ]
> For end-user apps (i.e. those in the menus), it will almost always be
> desirable to maintain a 1 .desktop file to 1 RPM mapping. And in fact we
> should be syncing the name of the package displayed in the package tool
> (including translations) with the .desktop file name. Or even making
> package management happen in terms of .desktop files. From a single-user
> standpoint, "menu editing" (at least in terms of add/remove items) and
> "package management" really have no reason to be different.

I can't agree more with you on that, specially w/ the last sentence.
It would be a much more clear 'metaphor' for the newbie.
I've never tried a Mac on my life, but I believe that there is in Mac OS
a kind of vFolder where all the applications reside, moving an installer
there installs the application, removing the application from there
uninstalls it (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Anyway, I think a strong relationship between Menu Items and
Applications is a big step in usability... It would be very intuitive
for a new user to drag an RPM to the menu, and have the application
installed.

But I can't figure out how we can deal with a multiple-user desktop...
should the new added RPM appear auto magically in all the other users'
menus? Should the system alert the other users in the next login about a
recently added application, and ask them if they want to use it? (i.e.
put it in the menu)

What it's clear is that for desktop-apps it has no sense to have the app
installed without the matching menu entry somewhere.

> Just some brainstorm ideas.

Same here ;)

--
Mariano