Desktop issues discussion proposal

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 23:11:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 17:20, Razvan Corneliu C.R. "d3vi1" VILT wrote:
> That sounds soo nice for the end user. But what about me? I've been
> using linux since 1996. I was 12 by then and I'm not sure I'm ready for
> such radical changes. I just love being in control of things. First I
> WANT to be able to select the rpm packages one-by-one, whether it's in
> anaconda or system-config-packages, we should not forget those users
> which want to be in control. It's nice to have an easier way, but lets
> not give up the power of rpm.

Nobody is stopping us from having multiple UIs, but the focus of the
desktop team at Red Hat is really on some very specific target users. In
rough outline, a typical desktop-using professional in a corporate
setting, and a network admin managing a lot of desktop systems in the
same setting. Working on posting more details.

Our intent for the default desktop install and configuration will be to
optimize for these users and we'll focus efforts there in Fedora Core.

But part of the fun of Fedora is that we do have a lot of choices,
including multiple window managers and so forth. And of course the
command line will always be there.

One suggestion from Seth is to have a "UNIX" comps group, containing all
the GUI stuff that traditional UNIX users expect that would not be
interesting to our desktop users.

Havoc