Line spacing in gnome-terminal

Blaz Zupan blaz at inlimbo.org
Sat Feb 7 09:07:28 UTC 2004

I just upgraded from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 1 by using apt-get (wow, it
was easy, I was impressed). Unfortunatelly I don't really like how
gnome-terminal looks in Fedora.

I used the default settings in RedHat 9 and I still use the default
settings in Fedora, so the selected font in gnome-terminal is "Luxi
Mono", size 10.

In RedHat 9, the spacing between lines was just fine and easy on the
eyes. In Fedora, the lines are too squished together. The line spacing
is fine in other applications, for example in Evolution which I'm using
to write this e-mail or in Mozilla.

If I ssh to a remote RedHat 9 box and run gnome-terminal on the Redhat
box and display it on the Fedora box, it looks fine. If I copy the
RedHat 9 gnome-terminal binary (gnome 2.2) to the Fedora box and run it
locally, the spacing is too small, same as with the Fedora-provided 2.4
gnome-terminal.

As a test, I created a new account on my box, so that no legacy settings
remaining in my .gconf, .gnome, etc. directories could screw up the
settings, but the problem remains.

As I don't really want to post binaries to this mailing list, I have
posted an example screenshot on my website. The upper window shows
gnome-terminal running locally on the Fedora box (lines too squished
together) while the lower windows is a gnome-terminal running on a
remote RedHat 9 box and displayed on the local Fedora box (lines ok).

http://home.amis.net/blaz/fedora-gnome-terminal.png

Any idea how to fix this? I googled around, searched both the RedHat and
Fedora mailing lists and also looked at Bugzilla, but found nothing.