Custom Desktop

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Jul 19 04:18:20 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 12:41 pm, corywynn at comcast.net wrote:
> Forgive me if I am missing something but I am attempting to setup a small
> business with FC1 and my buddy who is willing to try it out only wants his
> clients to access certain apps from the desktop and little to no chance of
> file/desktop alteration.  Can someone help me and/or direct me to how I
> might say only have default /home/anyuser environments that gives them only
> logout options, internet, and messenger?  I am just curious.  I can't find
> it anywhere.  Thx for any help.

Put a default ".xsession" file in the /etc/skeleton directory (and chmod 750
it) that contains the list of apps that you want to run.  For example, in
your case, you could just put one app:

mozilla -width 800 -height 600 file:///home/$USER/close.html

And also put in /etc/skeleton/ a file called close.html... Then each user will
ONLY get a browser, and that's it.  In the "close.html", put something like:

<CENTER><B>To log out, hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE</B></CENER>

And that should do nicely..

For more info on using the .xsession control method, see here:
http://www.jics.utk.edu/I2UNIX/xsession.html

I go over this in my the book:

Good luck..

Tweeks