GDM Suggestion

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon May 3 21:46:54 UTC 2004

Hey,

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 15:40, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 00:08, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > 't remember the whole set of issues but I think it was basically so
> > that a) switchdesk would appear to do something (it only works if you
> > are using the "Default" gdm session which runs ~/.Xclients, so if you'd
> > chosen a session in gdm switchdesk would seem busted) and b) so that if
> > someone had run switchdesk historically they wouldn't get reverted to
> > the default desktop on upgrade.
> >
> > Part of the issue is that switchdesk works with startx and kdm, but I
> > don't think we should care about that anymore honestly. kdm could have
> > similar functionality, and in the startx case someone is using command
> > line already and can edit .Xclients.
>
> Nothing elaborate about the rational:
>
>  - At that time we supported xdm, kdm, gdm, and startx
>  - So we needed something like switchdesk
>  - The combination of switchdesk and gdm choosing the session doesn't
>    work correctly.

	So, the conclusion I draw from that is that we should just get rid of
switchdesk. It'd be great if someone could log a bug to do that and
another bug to get rid of the switchdesk specific code from GDM.

	(Btw, if you do rpm --erase switchdesk, you should get the "old" GDM
functionality for switching desktops)

Cheers,
Mark.