pango should Requires: xorg-x11-base-fonts ?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sun May 2 14:32:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 00:17, Warren Togami wrote:
> No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
> library is not correctly configured. You may need to
> edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
> about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
> page and on http://fontconfig.org
>
> If you run any application that requires pango like gaim or dia and
> xorg-x11-base-fonts is not installed, then the above error message
> appears on the console and the application fails.
>
> Should it then be proper for pango to Requires: xorg-x11-base-fonts, or
> a generic equivalent that also works with XFree86?  Does such a generic
> equivalent exist?

Well, *ANY* fonts will satisfy the requirement. urw-fonts, bitmap-fonts,
fonts-bengali. You'll only get that warning if you literally have
no fonts installed. How did you manage that?

I don't really know what fonts are packaged where in the xorg-x11
packages so I can't make a recommendation as to what (if any) fonts
we might want the Pango package to require. (But you could ask,
why Pango in particular... requiring some fonts to operate is
not at all particular to it; we use fontconfig and Xft in various
non-Pango based programs including all of KDE)

The default fontconfig configuration we ship prefers a combination of
Luxi and URW fonts.

Regards,
					Owen