FC2: gnome-terminal takes much longer to startup than Mozilla

Yusuf Goolamabbas yusufg at outblaze.com
Fri May 21 11:30:43 UTC 2004

Hi, I installed Fedora Core 2 on an Athlon 750 with 512MB ram with an
Nvidia Vanta II pci video card.

After a fresh boot, I timed the following
a) startup of Mozilla from the panel till Release notes was rendered
b) startup of gnome-terminal from Fedora Menu->System Tools->Terminal
   till bash prompt

The timings for a) and b) on 'cold-start' were 10 and 13 seconds
respectively. On a 'warm cache' (ie) start Mozilla/shutdown/start again
the timings were 3 and 11 seconds respectively.

My expecation is that gnome-terminal is simpler/smaller than Mozilla and
as such should startup much faster

I was wondering if others saw similar ratio or is there something I
might have missed

Regards, Yusuf