No epiphany icon in FC4 -- and it won't take one --

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jul 13 23:05:46 UTC 2005

beartooth wrote:

>I'm not sure I understand "inherit" in this context. I did say, I think,
>that the machine in question is one that I upgraded from FC1 to FC4 -- and
>should have said, if I didn't, that everything including the icon was
>normal before the upgrade. So I should have inherited -- if I understand
>aright.

    By "inherit" I mean the way GNOME handles icon themes. There's a
file (theme.index) where you have to declare with which other icon
theme(s) does your particular icon-theme relates, shares or otherwise
may fill up some gaps, in order words, use those icons as missing icons
from your current theme. This file is done by the people who release an
icon theme. So even though your or I or anyone else maybe using the
Bluecurve icon-theme, still some icons have to be pulled from other
sources, the most commonly "inherited" icon theme by pretty much all
themes is the gnome icon-theme (being it the one with the broadest icon
library), and when that fails to provide an icon, then
/usr/share/pixmaps is searched for (I'm pretty sure that's the order it
cascades, if I'm wrong, I apologize).

>>Sure enough the panel would complaint about not having an icon available
>>for the launcher, that file was missing and such and such. I wonder why
>>is the file not being seen when it fells outside the scope of you
>>currently used icons theme, unless you inherit the icon (or link the
>>icon you want into your theme's expected directory, like
>>/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/48x48/apps/).
>>

>To judge from the error box I get, FC4 seems to expect it to be in
>/usr/share/icons/gnome rather than the one above, where it is.

By that path, I meant any other icon path too, so yeah, in your case in
particular, /usr/share/icons/gnome would be the place to look for it.

>>At least there's a bugzilla now about it.
>>

>Oh good. By yourself? Thank you for that. I can't seem to get my head
>around bugzilla for some reason ....

Actually I thought you did that, but I'll add a report for this with two
our cases to back up the "bug". I just wanna add, that I did a full
system installation, not an upgrade, from FC3 to FC4. Since I have my
/home and /usr/local paths as separate partitions, I did not lose
anything I cared for, at most some of the programs living in /usr/local
should be re-built with GCC4 (if at all needed). I'll go add the
bugzilla now.

Thanks for the clarification, and let us hope this is a simple enough
issue to solve.