An ordinary user's perspective of Linux (was Re: Make consolehelper more liske sudo?)

Andy Hudson webmanagement at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 15:03:40 UTC 2005

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am a curious member of this list and an ordinary user of Linux ; so
> excuse me for breaking into a learned debate.I want to give a
> perspective  of my end,following the threads between Havoc, Matthew
> and David.
>
> I use Fedora at home and office. Nowhere I can have the support of
> learned  linux experts at my beck and call; Also, I have installed the
> OS and  created root and other users. All passwords are available with
> me.Working  as a user,by the number of times I have to invoke 'root',I
> wonder why I  should not be working as root itself ?.
>
> By the discussions I have seen here and elsewhere, it appears most
> linux  experts and creators are basically contemptous of such a user
> as me. I am  sane, responsible and intelligent, but just not a linux
> expert. I have my  job and I want computer to be an unhindering aid
> and a provider of  entertainment.Why should I be required to know the
> intricacies of the OS ?  When the CD is locked and unmountable,
> unejectable; profound sermons on  the security aspects of linux hardly
> makes sense.
>
> While completely respecting the concerns of security and stability;
> borderlines of zones and the security matrix can always be redefined
> and  redesigned if you know exactly what you want to give the end
> user.OS and  programs like shirts and pants need to be tailored to users.
>
> I am a devoted user of Linux and Fedora. But what a stupid it makes of
> me!  Without the root password I just cannot imagine keeping this box
> running  and making any use of it.In a regulated office
> environment(unlike  mine)where I wouldn't be having the root password,
> I do not think I will  be able to use it with any amount of ease.In
> contrast, much maligned  Windows pampers me!So nice and considerate of
> my needs with all it's flaws  and weaknesses.Without the root password
> and a great deal of 'googli'ng  and 'maillist'ng, I couldnot have
> sustained Linux on this box.  Again,compare this with Windows.
>
> When will Linux and Fedora learn to respect me and users like me or
> will  it at all? Answer to that will be the key to whether it can
> really compete  with MS
>
> Parameshwara Bhat

Parameshwara,

The reason why root access is necessary is that it prevents any
accidental damage to your system. Of course it is ok for you to have
root access to your own Fedora Core installation - after all, you are
administering it.

Your point about the regulated office environment pretty much answers
your question. For instance, at my place of work we all use Windows 2000
or Mac OS X. I'm one of the people on Windows 2000. Our IT Services
department have an acceptable use policy that is supposed to restrict me
from installing third party software or anything malicious. However,
with Windows 2000 they have all the users set up with administration
rights over their own machine, so in theory I could download iTunes and
any other piece of software, install it and let it play havoc with my
system. Work computers are for work - it is as simple as that. I have
seen many laptops and desktops having to be fixed or having to have
spyware removed because some user has downloaded and installed software
that they shouldn't have done.

However, I have FC3 on my home computer which I trash most weeks just
because I can. New software is downloaded and used all the time...
sometimes it breaks, sometimes it works, sometimes it makes no
difference at all. The point is that I am responsible for my home
machine. I am also responsible for my work machine - I have to use it
day by day in order to carry out my duties. If it breaks I am not
productive...

Fedora does respect users - the System Administrators can grant
differing levels of access to the system to particular users. I don't
think it is as much about system security as it is about system integrity.

But that is just my two pence worth,

Andy