FC3 annoyances (blanking and blanking)

Gijs Hollestelle g.hollestelle at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:32:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:07:16 -0800, Ofer Nave <onave at shopzilla.com> wrote:
> Hello!  I'm new to Fedora... just installed FC3.  There are two
> annoyances that I haven't found a way around, and I was hoping to get
> help here.
> 2) I used to use SecureCRT to ssh into linux boxes for development, and
> when I used man or less, the last screen would remain visible after
> pressing 'q' to return to the prompt.  Now that I'm using X, it
> disappears when I quit.  I've tried xterm, konsole, and gnome term - all
> have the same behavior.
This is caused by ncurses that restores the screen after you quit
less, if you pass -X to less it doesn't do this. To make less use -X
automaticly put something like:

export LESS="-X"

Into your startup script (this will also work for manual pages as
these are displayed using less by default)

Greets,
   Gijs