Make consolehelper more liske sudo?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Mon Mar 21 15:29:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:01:17 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Software installation *definitely* needs some sort of authentication and
> special privilege. Sure, this needs to be made so it's not intimidating, but
> we also shouldn't shoot ourselves in the head.

You're thinking like an admin - yes for managed networks users probably
should not be able to install whatever they like but bear in mind anybody
can stick software in $HOME if they really want to, even if it's mounted
no-exec. So I think what you really want to avoid is unpredictable system
reconfiguration/change rather than software installation per-se.

And yes for home/personal systems clearly any root/sudo prompts at all are
silly, the user should never be prompted for a password once they have
logged in - not even for software installation.

thanks -mike