X thro ssh

Saravana Kumar tuxkumar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:45:55 UTC 2005

Hi fellow admins,

I have a peculiar requirement. We have two offices. People from second
office(say #2) want to connect to the server in first office(say #1). They
want to run the GUI applications in the office #1 server from office #2.

I tried to do this with VNC server and it works fine. But VNC is goes thro
unencrypted(open) connection. Is there a way to do this in a secured
way(read that xdmcp is not possible as it uses UDP).

Inside our network(LAN) if connect from one system to other thro ssh and
start an gui application that application shows up in the client. This
doesn't happen when i connect to server and start gui apps(says display not
set). iptables runs in the server. Do i have to open any port for that?

Any help or pointer in this regard is appreciated.

TIA,
SK